With the new PS5 system software update going live tomorrow that permits the SSD growth, PlayStation has launched a video clearly displaying how to set up a PS5 SSD growth in the console’s SSD growth bay. The video clearly outlines supplies, prep, and step-by-step directions, particularly useful for anybody who is likely to be a bit bit nervous about the course of. You can watch the five-minute tutorial beneath, in addition to learn by way of our textual content define.
How to Install a PS5 SSD Expansion
This set up course of will work for each the digital and disc-based PS5 consoles.
What You’ll Need
- PS5 Console (Digital or Disc Versions)
- Compatible M.2 SSD Expansion Drive
- #1 Phillips Screwdriver
- Stable Work Surface
- Optional: Soft Cloth, Flashlight
Ps5 SSD Installation Preparation
- Make positive your PS5 is up to date to the newest PS5 system software program.
- Power down your PS5 console and let it cool off.
- Remove the PS5 console’s base and connected cables.
- Touch a separate steel grounded object to diffuse any static electrical energy and stop harm to the console.
PS5 SSD Installation
- Position the console in your work floor with the PS brand aspect down and the energy button going through away from you.
- Remove the cowl.
- Place your proper hand to on the fringe of the backside proper nook and your left hand on the prime left nook.
- Lift the nook of the cowl together with your proper hand, utilizing the left hand to slide the cowl off in direction of the place the base attaches to the console.
- See picture beneath or video above for visible help.
- Use the screwdriver to detach the growth slot cowl (the lengthy rectangle of steel close to the fan, on the entrance fringe of the console).
- Remove the screw and spacer inside the growth slot.
- Place the spacer in the slot that matches your SSD growth dimension.
- Hold your SSD in order that it matches the connection port. Insert it ranging from a barely diagonal upward place. Make positive it’s firmly pressed in.
- Fasten the SSD in place with the spacer screw you eliminated in step 4.
- Put the SSD growth bay cowl again on and screw again into place.
- Put the PS5 cowl again on utilizing the reverse movement used in step 2 to take away it. It will click on again into place.
- Reconnect your PS5 and following the on-screen prompts to format your new SSD growth to be used.
- Format: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
- Capacity: 250GB – 4TB
- Sequential learn velocity: 5,500MB/s or quicker is really helpful
- Form Factor: M.2 sort 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
- These numbers will be discovered on retail listings for M.2 SSD units. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the size
- Socket sort: Socket 3 (Key M)
- Length: 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the kind issue sort, per above)
- Module width: 22mm width (25mm width shouldn’t be supported)
- The complete construction (together with an added cooling construction) can not exceed 25mm (0.984in)
- Height: The complete top of the M.2 SSD and its cooling construction (comparable to a heatsink) – whether or not built-in or separate –should be lower than 11.25mm (0.442in)
- The top should even be in the proper place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board
- The dimension beneath the board should be lower than 2.45mm (0.096in). The complete dimension above the board should be lower than 8mm (0.314in)
- Other Notes
- Both single-sided and double-sided M.2 SSD units are supported.
- M.2 SATA SSDs aren’t supported.
- You ought to rigorously evaluation drive specs prior to buy and get in touch with the vendor or producer in case you want additional data. SIE can not assure that each one M.2 SSD units assembly the described specs will work together with your console and assumes no accountability for the choice, efficiency or use of third-party merchandise.
- Not all video games are essentially playable with the very same efficiency offered by the PS5 console’s inside Ultra-High Speed SSD, even the place the M.2 SSD gadget’s sequential learn velocity is quicker than 5500MB/s.
- The majority of M.2 SSD units with the above sort numbers (M Key Type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110) and with no built-in cooling construction will match the PS5 console’s SSD slot. However, sizes for cooling buildings (like heatsinks) range tremendously. If you aren’t positive an M.2 SSD or cooling construction (comparable to a heatsink) you’re contemplating meets the dimension necessities outlined right here, we suggest in search of one other product choice or contacting the vendor or producer for extra data.
Note that another drives that don’t meet the above standards may match, however these are Sony’s really helpful specs. Following them will guarantee the drive you select will perform with the PS5.